In this article, we’ll go through the steps required to set up Google Sync with your Soundtrap EDU account. This method is best if you are considering rostering on the school or district level for hundreds or thousands of user accounts. Speak to our Soundtrap representative regarding this option or reach out to Soundtrap support to inquire further.
Table of contents:
In order to connect Google sync successfully, you must:
- Have a Google Super-admin role in your school's Google Account and have administrative rights to access the Google Organization Units (OU).
- Be a Soundtrap EDU owner of the Soundtrap EDU account.
- Make sure to use the correct email address when logging into your Soundtrap owner account.
Note: The email address associated to the Soundtrap owner account must be the same email address as the super-admin email. If you're not the owner of the EDU account, ask one of the existing owners to assign you the role of owner.
1. Go to www.soundtrap.com and click the Log in with Google button. Make sure to use the Google super admin account that has administrative rights.
2. Go to Account Settings > click Sync account
3. Click on Google Sync. The first time you set up the sync configuration, you'll be asked to allow Soundtrap to access your Google Account data. Click the “Allow” button to continue.
4.The Google Sign-In dialog box will appear asking you to choose an account, sign-in using the account that has administrative rights.
5. The Allow Access dialog box will then appear, asking you to allow Soundtrap to view your domains and the users in those domains. Click the Allow button to continue.
6. If the authorization is set up and Soundtrap is allowed to access your Google OU account, the dialog will show all the domains that you have granted access to. Select the domain that you want to sync by clicking on the checkbox and then click Next.
7. Next, you'll need to configure how to handle the removed and updated users. Click Next after selecting the options you preferred.
Do nothing when the user is deleted
Nothing will be done to this user. The user will remain in the account with a seat (if assigned a seat)
Remove user from the educational account
The user removed from the educational account and can no longer access the account.
Unseat the user in the educational account
The user will remain in the educational account but will not have a seat.
8. Select which organizational units you want to sync by clicking the checkbox and specify the role for each unit. When you are done, click the Sync button.
9. Once the configuration is done, a message will appear at the bottom of the page.
Congratulations! You have now successfully configured your Soundtrap EDU account to sync with your Google OU.
How to log into Soundtrap
Users can access Soundtrap via the steps below:
- Go to soundtrap.com/edu
- Click Login
- Select Login with Google and enter your school email address
Congratulations! You've successfully logged in via Google SSO and are a member of the synced EDU.
After the syncing has finished running, you can expect to see the following:
- Soundtrap groups with the same name as the synced units will be created as a default group.
- Existing user accounts will be enrolled into the Soundtrap group as a default.
- Existing users in a different EDU account within Soundtrap will be migrated over to the synced EDU and will be added to the synced default group. If your organization has enough seats available, the migrated accounts will take up a Soundtrap seat.
- Teachers can create their own Soundtrap groups and then invite students to join their specific Soundtrap groups.
Syncing Google OU does not automatically create brand new user accounts. All users must create their own Soundtrap account by going to our website and logging in via Google SSO. Once the user has created their own Soundtrap account via Google SSO, the account will automatically be enrolled in the synced EDU.