This article will review how an owner of the EDU account can roster new student accounts or new teacher accounts by using a .csv file import. EDU owners will be able to create new accounts based on role types and can bulk enroll the new user accounts into a Soundtrap group.
How to prepare your .csv file:
The excel file only needs four columns with the following information:
- First name
- Last name
- School email address
- Soundtrap password
Note: We recommend passwords to be 8 characters or longer
Please note that no capital letters should be used in the email addresses and a header row is not necessary. Save your file as a comma separated values (.csv) file to prepare for import.
How to import a .csv file to create new user accounts:
1. From the landing page in your Soundtrap profile, click Add students in the lower left corner.
2. Under Bulk Import, choose CSV File.
3. A new window will open showing a dialog with instructions on what should be included on your CSV file. Under Please choose a file, click Choose File and locate your file.
You can Add users to a group by selecting the dropdown menu and selecting a group to enroll the new accounts into.
Select the Role for users and confirm the role type. The dropdown menu will display owner, teacher, or student as the defaulted roles.
If the .csv file contains only new student accounts, select the "student" role.
If the .csv file contains only new teacher accounts, select the "teacher" role.
Click Next to import the .csv file.
4. A preview of the students/teachers details will be displayed. If all looks good, click Import.
5. Congratulations! The new students/teachers are successfully imported (Status: OK). Click Done for next step.
6. The students/teachers are now visible under User List.
How to log into your new Soundtrap account
New users can go to www.soundtrap.com/edu to click the Log in button in the top right corner and reset their password by selecting Forgot password. Once new users have reset their Soundtrap password, they’ll be able to log into Soundtrap on the right side of the login dialogue.
If users prefer to use Google SSO or Microsoft SSO to login, they will be prompted for the Soundtrap password in order to link the Google / Microsoft connection with the user’s Soundtrap account.
- If the file has an excess row or column without info, an "invalid details" message will show in the preview. Make sure to delete all excess rows and columns.
- No capital letters and spaces should be used in the email addresses field.
- Soundtrap does not send email confirmations for accounts created using .csv file. Owners or teachers need to provide the credentials to their students if logging into Soundtrap manually.
- By default, imported students will have assigned seats if the EDU account has enough seats.