Hello all. I have been involved with the SoundTrap community for over 4 years. Within that allotted time, I have witnessed a once great and striving community fall to pieces.
As I am sure many can relate, I do have a fairly busy life, so I will highlight the biggest issues, and mention a few things that should be added.
1. 99% of all soundtrap features are blocked by a pay wall. For example, the only non-electric guitar I can use is the basic acoustic guitar. I can't even use a Ukulele. This means I have to record instruments on another site, import those into Soundtrap, then rinse and repeat. This practically makes Soundtrap useless for producers. If I really wanted to pay for something then I'd pay the $100 to get FL studio. Want to know something great about FL? You only ever have to pay ONCE! Whereas, with Soundtrap, you have to pay every month. That means with the cheapest package, you'd be paying $120 dollars a year, where with FL you'd be paying $100 for a lifetime DAW. AND you get more features than you could imagine.
2. Bring back the community. Honestly, I gained most of my growth over Soundtrap's community. When that shut down, me and my friends on Soundtrap either lost touch or migrated to Spotify and YouTube. Growth on Soundtrap was so easy, all you had to do was make some sort of joke or inspirational message on the wall and you'd get about 50 followers in a week. Now, the issue was that there were a multitude of people just asking for boyfriends and girlfriends, but that's an easy fix. You just make a few rules that pop up above the wall and anyone caught breaking those rules will get their wall privileges suspended or banned.
Some of my best days were on the Soundtrap wall. I met so many great collaborators through that, and nowadays, it's super hard to find any collaborators who don't cost an astronomical amount of money.
Those are the main changes needed to be made. Now, for what needs to be added.
1. Sidechain compressions. Someone posted this over a year ago, so I'm going to copy and paste the persons post here. Sidechain Compression is a compressor that lowers the volume of any audio by using a certain sound as its activator (kick or snare) Usually this effect is used in Electronic Music like Trap, Rap and EDM or House, but is also used for other cool stuff like ducking the volume. Fakie, on the other hand is just a volume duck for any audio that is usually in the time signature. If you are using a 4/4 Kick beat this can actually work, but sidechain is usually needed for more advanced kick patterns.
2. Add better AutoTune. The one currently makes it either sound like you're on a bounce house from a three year old's birthday party, or sounds exactly the same as you recorded it.
3. Add melodyne or something similar. This would help for when you need to tune your vocals or instruments, but need a better visual understanding of what key the vocals/instrument is in, and makes it easier to move that note to the right key. Many DAWs are adding this, but Soundtrap seems to be lacking with adding new stuff such as that.
4. Honestly, some of the guitars sound like someone threw a trombone into a meat grinder. I'd personally remake all the guitar sounds with REAL guitars, but that's just me.
Thank you all for letting me rant about this. I am going to also email this to Soundtrap, because chances are they will not listen to this post.
Please sign in to leave a comment.