In this guide we’ll walk through how to get Soundtrap integrated with Canvas courses. As the EDU owner, follow the steps below to generate the Soundtrap LTI keys.
If you are installing Soundtrap for the entire district, please review the steps below and share the keys with your Canvas administrator. If Soundtrap is to be installed for specific Canvas courses and not the whole district, you can consider sharing the LTI keys with specific teachers. The teachers must use the same LTI keys to install Soundtrap into their specific Canvas courses and can refer to this article to install Soundtrap into multiple courses.
Table of contents
1. From the Home page, click Add students on the lower left corner OR head to Account settings select and click +Add students.
2. Click on Connect to other systems > Connect to Canvas
3. When you've reached the Configuring Canvas window, open a new tab in your web browser and log into your Canvas account.
Keep your Soundtrap window open until we've reached the corresponding window inside Canvas.
4. When you've logged into Canvas, go to Courses in the left column and select the course(s) you want to integrate Soundtrap into.
5. Go to Settings and click View App Configurations.
6. Click +App.
7. Change configuration type to by URL.
8. Copy the LTI keys from Step 3 into the correspondent boxes. Click Submit.
Congratulations! You've now successfully integrated Soundtrap with Canvas. The Soundtrap app is now listed in the Canvas course as shown in the picture below:
How students and teachers can access Soundtrap from Canvas
Now that Soundtrap has been successfully installed into Canvas courses and is visible on the left hand side of the course menu, students and teachers can:
- Log into their Canvas accounts
- Go to their Canvas integrated course
- Click on the Soundtrap app listed on the left side of the course menu
And a brand new Soundtrap user account will be created for the student or teacher.
This is also the login flow and all Canvas students and teachers should use this flow to login and connect with their Soundtrap account.
- If you are a Soundtrap EDU owner and want to install Soundtrap district wide, please reach out to your Canvas LMS administrator. Canvas admins can install Soundtrap district wide by following this guide. After Soundtrap has been installed district wide, Soundtrap will then be available to all Canvas users.
- Exercise caution if you need to reset your LTI keys via the "regenerate configuration" button. This will populate a brand new set of Soundtrap keys. Since the keys need to match on both sides (Soundtrap and Canvas), you will need to update all configured Canvas courses with the new keys. Users will not be able to access Soundtrap until the new keys have been updated in your Canvas courses.
- New user accounts will be created as long as there are enough Soundtrap seats available.
- Teachers should create their own Soundtrap groups and invite students to join their group for collaboration.