If you have an iOS device, such as iPhone or iPad, download the Soundtrap app from the App Store. If you have an Android device, download the Soundtrap app from Google Play Store or use Soundtrap in the Chrome browser.
Here are some tips to get the best quality of your recording:
Find the microphone
- Most smartphone microphones are located at the bottom of the phone.
- When you start recording, you’ll want to aim the microphone in the direction of the sound source.
- If you're holding the smartphone, make sure your hand isn’t covering the mic.
- If you're recording your own voice, it’s also a good idea to keep a reasonable distance between your mouth and the microphone to ensure you capture a clear audio recording.
Tips for recording audio
- You don't want to get a phone call while you’re trying to record, so you might want to turn off incoming calls before you press record (you will need internet connection however since Soundtrap is an online studio!)
- Find a nice, quiet room. A coffee shop or a noisy restaurant might not be ideal.
- Check for wind. Even a mild breeze blowing directly into a sensitive microphone can overpower the sound of someone talking. If you need to be outside, move somewhere away from the wind.
- Instead of speaking loudly, try to get closer to the microphone. This will create a more intimate and natural sound.
Or improve the audio recording quality on your smartphone with an external mic, you can compare different microphones here: http://www.sweetwater.com/c1060--iPad_iPhone_Microphones